Below are the last three steps that I would encourage you to devote your time, effort and prayer to. As I’ve already mentioned, all of these things are an investment in more ways than one, but each one is a solid step in the right direction.
Talking about money and fees is probably the least favorite subject of all speakers, but unfortunately it really cannot be avoided! Let’s tackle these money issues, and the topic of marketing materials, so we can move on to the fun stuff next week!
Step 4: Determine Your Budget
- Determine your personal budget for marketing. Decide what you can afford to spend, and set a budget. Do not consider marketing options that will fall outside of your budget or cause a hardship on you, your marriage, or your family.
- Although investing does require some risks, I believe that God calls us to be good stewards of the blessings that He has given us, and that He would not condone us taking huge financial risks, unless we have prayed fervently about it and feel that God has confirmed that move
Step 5: Determine Your Fees
- Consider what fees you will charge, if any. Check out other speaker’s websites and strive towards setting up a fee schedule according to the standard market fees for speakers in your category and at your level of expertise and experience. Set a specific fee schedule that you can share in writing or in conversation when asked.
- If you have no speaking experience yet, you may want to consider speaking for free at local churches, MOPS groups, charity meetings, etc. to gain experience.
- It is normal to feel a twinge of guilt or hesitation when requesting a fee or honorarium. However, speakers spend an enormous amount of time, energy, sweat and tears in preparing for events, developing strong messages, and trying to live out our faith in our everyday lives. Everyone deserves to be compensated for their hard work, and speakers are no different. Consider also, that if God has paved the way for you to speak, then that could be His way of helping your family financially as well.
Step 6: Develop Quality Marketing Materials
- Create a professional looking bio sheet or brochure or both, and a professional business card. Visit the speaker page at Proverbs 31.org and check out some of the bios that our speakers have. You can also research other Christian speaker websites to get ideas for your own bio.
Now – take a deeeeeeeeeeeeep breath my friends! After a week of thinking about laying the foundation of your ministry, it may all seem a little overwhelming. You may even be wondering, “What have I gotten myself into? I can’t do all this!”
So, I want to encourage you to take things slowly! Just focus on one thing at a time, and put one foot in front of the other, all the while, following God’s leading and continuing a close walk with Him.