Today I have two treats for you. First, I’d like to announce a new service that we’ll be offering from now until She Speaks. Being in a speaker evaluation group at She Speaks was one of the most valuable and most terrifying things that I did as a “newbie” speaker. For those of you who are already developing heart palpitations every time you think about it, I promise that you didn’t make a mistake in signing up. It will be a wonderful experience, and don’t forget that everyone in the room will be feeling the same way.
There’s lots of great information about your Speaker Evaluation Group on the She Speaks website, but Karen Ehman and I would like to offer a service to those of you who would like some additional help. Next Step Speaker Service is offering a 45 minute call to women in a speaker evaluation group who would like to talk through your 3 minute testimony and 5 minute Bible teaching. We will give you some basic principles and then talk through your ideas one on one. We can also answer any questions you have about how the groups are structured with any extra time we have.
The cost of the call will be $45, and you can register by filling out the “Request Information” form. At the bottom, please indicate you are interested in this specific service by typing “Speaker Eval Group service.” Either Karen or I will contact you via email to schedule the time and day for the call.
Treat number 2 is getting to hear from Karen’s heart today. Drink it in!
You have ideas in your head and desires in your heart. Deep within your soul is a passion to help women by sharing with them biblical truths or by offering “I’ve been there advice” on a particular topic or issue through which you have worked.
Often, when you are at an event or watching a teaching dvd and experience a speaker delivering a life-changing message, you whisper to yourself, “I want to do what she does”. But you just don’t know exactly how or where to begin.
Most of all, you sense there is a gifted speaker hiding inside your soul just longing to break out and do her thing.
What’s a gal to do?
Here are some practical tips to give you perspective and get you started in the right direction:
- Pray specifically. Begin a little notebook of prayer. In it jot your heartfelt prayers to God on the area of your speaking ministry. Nothing is too small. “God, please show me the topics you’d like for me to explore and share with women.” “Father, will you bring stories, ideas and examples my way to help punctuate my messages?” “God, would you guide me in finding groups that need to hear the messages you’ve laid upon my heart. Show me what I am to do to connect with them.”
- Be a student of life. Be on the lookout for analogies, stories, quotes on the sides of coffee cups or lyrics to songs that go along with topics you feel passionately about. This will help to load your quarry from which you can mine gems in the future for your talks.
- Don’t waste a bad story. When you experience disappointment, frustration, setbacks or periods of waiting, write down your experiences, facts and feelings. God will use them in the future to warn, encourage and bless others in your audience.
- Utilize family & friends. Craft a sample message. Start short–maybe a 15 minute devotional. Then, get on the phone, text message or email some friends to gather an audience. Test drive your material on them and solicit feedback. Ask them to tell you what worked and what didn’t and offer suggestions for how it could be better. Then, re-write, re-gather and repeat!
- Be patient. Nationally known speakers also started out small often times speaking to very tiny groups for no more than a potted plant or Starbucks gift card. Do not worry about reaching vast audiences just yet. Work on bettering your messages not enlarging your platform. God will open doors when He thinks you are ready.
With a keen eye, a desire to learn through life’s experiences and a little help from your friends, you’ll soon be on your way to building the speaking ministry about which you’ve always dreamed!!!